The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Before the Ball

Open Noble W2 D4 HN Sebastien Perrault

249 replies to this topic

#121 Silvan Calomine

• Calomine Heir

Posse Member
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle, mostly

• OriginCalomine Plantation, Southern Dominance

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Silvan turned to look at the square and those who were watching them instead of watching his sister making a fool of herself. She really didn't need House Zerrung thinking that she was irresponsible or obnoxious. He noticed Votir Zerrung and felt a little bit of relief. Perhaps he would be able to keep this young Wilor from continuing to pull Zella into embarrassing situations. Zella turned as well, when Votir spoke, and smiled.

"Silvan?" Her head tilted to the side as she looked from Votir to Silvan "Please, introduce me." She said happily, glad that there was a good excuse for the 'argument' to subside.

"Votir, this is my sister, Lady Zella. I apologize for the circumstances under which you have to meet her. She is not normally like this." Silvan said smoothly. When it mattered, he knew that could be wonderfully polite, unlike Zella who, in his mind, was always an immature spitfire.

#122 Votir Zerrung

• Heir to House Zerrung

5th Tier Elariel
  • Age24

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTremredare

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Votir inclined his head.

"Pleased to meet you, my lady. I must beg your pardon for my brother's actions."

He turned towards Wilor, just barely containing his irritation.

"Wilor, what exactly did you do to so offend Lady Zella?"

Edited by Eclipse, 23 January 2014 - 09:21 PM.

#123 Aldwin Tekiel

• Heir to House Tekiel

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

Cultivate a little humility? Him? Aldwin couldn't help but grin at what Sanna would say if she heard that. Maybe it was best to keep those two women as far away from one another as possible; between the two of them, they were likely to spoil all of his fun.

The group on the other side of the square got louder for a moment, but the volume quickly subsided. Whatever was going on over there, maybe it had passed. Good; he'd hate to have to move their group when they were having so much fun.

"Why, Lady Delissia," he asked with a wink, "are you asking the heir to a Great House to learn how to lose? Why, if I didn't have such a high opinion of your character, I might think you were planning something." He winked again, grinning in a friendly way so that there was no way his jests could ever be taken seriously. After all, having a little fun was alright, but only if everyone was on the same page.

"Nevan?" he asked. "What do you think?"

"I'm staying out of this." For all he said that, the other man was smirking. A little. Bah, he was no fun. Who else could he rope into these shenanigans?

"And what do you think, my Lady Adala? Should I follow Lady Delissia's advice and learn how to be a gracious loser?"

Posted Image

#124 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

Adala couldn't keep the smirk off her face, Aldwin was a treat indeed, she would really need to get to know him better. He was simply charming and Adala always loved to be around a charming man. But how to answer his question...

"Well," she began carefully, she didn't want to offend him, "humility is an attractive feature in a man, but too much makes you seem like you lack confidence in yourself." She shrugged, "But sometimes you can't help but lose and it is best to lose gracefully when you do so, it's easier to recover."

Why was Aldric looking at her like that, she hadn't said anything wrong had she? It was only when he gave her a small thumbs up when she understood, her brother was surprised she'd said the right thing. Adala rolled her eyes, did her brother really think she was going to tell a man he should learn to lose, especially an heir to a Great House?

Edited by Noelle, 23 January 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#125 Wilor Zerrung

• Noble Lurcher, fighting for Skaa

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age22

• OriginTremredare

• Allomantic StatusRumored

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

"Hello, brother. Apparently I made some outrageously offensive comment about her family. Or," Wilor whispered, "maybe we just decided to have some fun." Wilor knew Votir wouldn't like that he had made a scene just for fun.

"Lady Zella, if you'd be so kind as to explain to my older brother here that we were just having a bit of fun, I'd be much obliged." Wilor put on his fancy, formal appearance so as not to upset Votir more.

Wilor

--Wilor Zerrung, der Abzieher

#126 Votir Zerrung

• Heir to House Zerrung

5th Tier Elariel
  • Age24

• OriginTremredare

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Votir tried to make his voice as calm but stern as possible, barely containing his anger as he whispered to Wilor, voice shaking with the effort.

"Wilor. This may not be a ball, these people may not be above our rank, but you cannot make a scene like this so close to such high ranking nobles. We're trying to improve our standing and get contracts with nobles like them, not to embarrass the Zerrung name and endanger our success in Luthadel. This needs to stop. Now."

He turned back towards the Calomines,

"Zella, did Wilor actually offend your family, or was he doing this as a joke? If he offended you in any way, then please accept my most heartfelt apology."

Edited by Eclipse, 23 January 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#127 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusIn a secret affair

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

A faint redness rose to Zella's cheeks and she shook her head. "He did not actually offend me, my lord. It was partially my fault, as I agreed to go along with his...plan. I did not think that we would get so much attention." That was a lie, but she did it well. She now had an in on a conversation high above her and that was always worth it. All she had to do now was go over and apologize for the disturbance. She already knew that one of the Ventures, the young woman, thought well of her for slapping Wilor. It had worked perfectly.

#128 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

Nevan just smirked at Aldwin's pouty expression. "See?" he said with a smirk of his own. "No one's indulging your silliness, so you can stop fishing." Though Lord Ruler knew they needed a bit of silliness right now; the outburst from the other group seemed to have died down, but it was best to keep everyone talking anyways. But if they couldn't have silliness, maybe a sufficiently distracting topic of conversation would do.

"Lord Aldric, Lady Adala," he continued, hoping the others would take the hint as well. "Have you heard much of what happened at House Casuana's ball? It was quite the madhouse."

Posted Image

#129 Aldric Venture

• Heir to the Plantation

Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginUrteau

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Oh Lord Ruler, what was wrong with Cousin Nevan, one didn't indulge Adala. One didn't encourage Adala, that was the way to madness.

Wait had he just thought that about the heir? Aldric felt lightheaded. It was all Adala's fault, that he was thinking such blasphemous things, surely.

"I heard some things Cousin, as you well know." Adala held a hand to her chin, as if thinking, "And yet that was just gossip, I don't know what's truth and what's rumor, perhaps you can enlighten me?" She gave her most winning smile and Aldric just stared straight ahead. Perhaps, if he focused hard enough on not being here he could warp the laws of reality and suddenly be somewhere else.

It was not as if he could have stopped his sister without interrupting her, and that would be much too obvious. No Adala was going to dig herself a hole now, and there was nothing Aldric could do about it. He could no signal her to shut up, simply because she wouldn't listen. Someone had mentioned the words "Love" and "Venture" around her, there would be no getting out of this.

#130 Votir Zerrung

• Heir to House Zerrung

5th Tier Elariel
  • Age24

• OriginTremredare

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Votir wasn't sure how to deal with Zella. She had listened to Wilor's harebrained plan, which immediately put her down in his eyes, but he knew there had to be an ulterior motive. No one survived in the noble world doing things like Wilor. Votir, by his own political skill, had kept House Zerrung's losses to a minimum, but even that was an ordeal like none other. It was now only a matter of time before Votir could find what it was Zella really wanted, and found a way to use it to House Zerrung's advantage. But until then, Votir had to make sure that Wilor didn't get in the way of his quest to improve House Zerrung,

"I see... Very well then, no harm done."

This could be a chance to try to make a start on connecting with House Venture, and that would be a huge leap for House Zerrung. Looks like Wilor has given me the opportunity of a lifetime after all. Of course, I can't take advantage of it when the moment is still fresh. I need to wait until the irritation they undoubtedly are feeling fades, at which point they'll be more open to someone of such lower status approaching them. He held back a smile. The Perrault Ball was going to be very useful for the future of House Zerrung

Edited by Eclipse, 24 January 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#131 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusIn a secret affair

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Zella smiled charmingly and nodded. "Indeed. In fact, you gave us the perfect opportunity to end the...act. We were not sure what to do after the fact." She was trying to be natural, even if this nobleman reminded her of Silvan. "Will you be at the ball tonight as well, Lord Votir?"

Beside her she heard Silvan make a small sound that was almost an irritated sigh, though it wasn't at her. It was more as if he had forgotten something, or possibly not had the time for something. Interesting. It was also a rather nervous sound, as if he really wanted to interrupt her conversation to tell her something. That was not unnatural, though. He was always on the verge of making her shut up.

#132 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

Nevan suppressed a sigh. Of course she asked about that. She couldn't have asked about anything else. Nevan cleared his throat, hoping to move on from this quickly. Still, he couldn't help but smile a little at the thought of Camille.

"There's not much to say, really," he said to Adala. "We went to our first ball together at Keep Casuana. We talked, and we danced, and we got on very well."

"What Lord Stick-in-the-Mud is trying to say here," Aldwin interjected, "Is that the two of them got all starry-eyed and-- Urfh!"

"Say, Adala,"
Broderick said, grinning as though he hadn't just elbowed the Tekiel heir in the ribs, "Would you like one of this lot to tell you the story of how Eliza Fathvell punched Riordan Casuana in the face at his own ball?"

Posted Image

#133 Votir Zerrung

• Heir to House Zerrung

5th Tier Elariel
  • Age24

• OriginTremredare

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:56 AM

Votir was perplexed. Wasn't I going to the Ball with Zella? Why is she asking me if I'll be going at all? Did Silvan not tell her?

"Umm... Yes... Silvan didn't tell you? As far as I was aware, I was to be taking you. Of course, if you'd rather I didn't, then just say the word. Your wish is my command, my lady." Votir finished his sentence with his most courteous, charming smile, his last ditch effort to defuse what he realized was likely to become a tense, awkward situation.

He turned to Silvan. "Did you not tell her?"

#134 Silvan Calomine

• Calomine Heir

Posse Member
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle, mostly

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

Silvan coughed awkwardly and shrugged. "She decided to come here to Luthadel before I had a chance to let her know who it was." He explained while Zella frowned at him. She then turned to Votir, her face a smile and not letting anyone see what she was thinking.

"I apologize, Lord Votir. Silvan had told me that I was going with someone, but he did not yet mention a name." She said, charming and perfect. Silvan had to give it to her that she was very good at being charming.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 24 January 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#135 Votir Zerrung

• Heir to House Zerrung

5th Tier Elariel
  • Age24

• OriginTremredare

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

Votir calmed down substantially at the word "lord" as used by Silvan. It reminded him that he was of a higher status than the Calomines, and restored his confidence. His date not knowing that she was his date had thrown him for a moment.

"No need for apologies, just a simple misunderstanding. Of course, some women do enjoy mystery, so perhaps that's why Zella left before you could tell her who I was." Votir punctuated the last remark with a smile at Zella. Before Zella could respond in any way, Votir second-guessed himself, imagined scenarios of rejection by Zella leading to a quick change in subject away from himself and his date.

"Speaking of dates to the ball, who will you be going with, Silvan?"

#136 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

Her cousin, Adala decided, knew nothing about how to fall in love. Wasn't he supposed to be sighing over Lady Camille right now? Extolling her virtues to anyone who would listen? Where was the passion, where was the drama, where was the romance? She didn't glare at him though, even though she wanted too, no one did not glare at the Heir of Venture, even when he was your cousin, even when he was being unhelpful.

When Broderick talked, however, Adala's attention was immediately diverted. First Lucille Deveaux flips Lord Aldwin into a fountain, and now a Fathvell was punching people in the face? This was the best, boo on Aldric for sighing at her happiness. Obviously he did not understand how fantastic this was.

"Really?" She asked, grinning, "Whyever did she do that, Cousin?"

#137 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

"Riordan Casuana was making a fool of himself," Nevan answered simply. "Alistair Casuana had challenged Caden Hasting to a duel, but knowing that Caden would soundly defeat Alistair, Riordan jumped in to try to salvage the situation. By, of course, offending Caden so much that he would have to duel him instead of Alistair." He shook his head just thinking about it; honestly, it would have been a more honorable showing for Casuana to just let Alistair take the loss with grace and poise.

Then again, he somehow doubted that would have happened either.

"One of the ways he tried to provoke Caden was by insulting Eliza Fathvell, with whom Caden was dancing at the time. Except that instead of sitting back and waiting for Caden to defend her honor, she walked right up to him and punched him in the face. Right here." He tapped his jaw to illustrate.

"It staggered him, too; she didn't go easy on him. I haven't seen the man since, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him still sporting a bruise tonight."

Posted Image

#138 Aldric Venture

• Heir to the Plantation

Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginUrteau

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:42 AM

No.

Just no.

Enough was enough. His sister was making a fool of herself, ooh'ing and aah'ing over a woman punching a man in the face, like some lowblooded noble with a thirst for violence. It was like she'd forgotten she was in the presence of the heir of their house. Of the heirs to several houses.

Except, when was the last time he'd seen Adala so interested in something that wasn't one of her romance novels? Yes it wasn't proper but could he really begrudge her this? Nevan didn't seem to mind, now that they'd gotten off the topic of Lady Camille. Aaron and Aldwin seemed good humored enough to not hold this against her, as long as she just settled down a little.

"Well it seems even more important that I introduce myself to the Fathvells," Adala said, "I think we have much to discuss."

What was that supposed to mean? Did his sister really think she could talk to Eliza Fathvell about punching people in the face?

"But really, this is all so overwhelming," she continued, "Heirs getting flipped into fountains, men getting punched in the face, keeps on fire, is there anything that didn't happen at the Casuana Ball?"

Edited by Noelle, 24 January 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#139 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

"Yes," Broderick answered with a pout. "Something, in fact, did not happen, and I'll tell you what it was: I didn't get to see a bloody bit of any of this."

He tried not to remember that night. His parents arguing, the terrified skaa woman, the look on Father's face when Broderick was discovered outside their rooms listening in on the argument. Staying late to comfort Mother, and then...

"Something came up, and I was late, and I arrived just in time to find my cousin here with the keep on fire, and then a bunch of skaa attacked us. I didn't even make it inside, and then a bunch of bloody skaa ruined my coat! It simply isn't fair."

Posted Image

#140 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

"What Lord Stick-in-the-Mud is trying to say here," Aldwin interjected, "Is that the two of them got all starry-eyed and-- Urfh!"

"I swear," Nevan had said with a smirk, "The way things keep going, especially with this gentleman right here, there will be rumors of an engagement before I've so much as spoken to the woman on ball night."How true those words had been, for indeed, Nevan and Camille really were to talk of the entire city, or at least for the noble part of it. They had also commented on Aaron's fast approaching date with Phyra if he remembered correctly, though without the same respect. Phyra didn't have anywhere near the class or popularity that Camille Deveaux did, after all, even if she was a Venture. Who could have predicted how things were going to turn out? Camille and Nevan practically engaged, Aaron heir of his house, and Phyra dead by the order of her own family.

How does that make them feel? wondered Aaron, looking at the smiling faces around him. Adala and Aldric likely hadn't known Phyra, and her relationship with Nevan and Broderick could not have been anything other than uncomfortable, but even so, had she left an emptiness in keep Venture like Mikhail had? Or had it been all too easy for these smiling nobles to get rid of her?

Not wanting to bring up any of the part of his ball experience, Aaron sat by and listened as Lady Delissia chimed in, "Oh it was simply awful, Lady Adala. People were running everywhere, and you couldn't see or hear anything with all of the confusion, and noise, and smoke. I ended up running into Lady Tamsin Landell and her terrisman who were trying to help her Lord Father get out of the keep. Lord Landell himself seemed to be rather indisposed, I don't think he was feeling well, poor man. One can hardly blame him too, what with all the smoke and fire and commotion. Andthe skaa had a real Mistborn with them who challenged an Inquistor to a duel! The Inquisitor, who was wearing a ball gown I might add, took off after the Mistborn, and I have no idea whatsoever what happened after that, but have to assume that her grace must have caught him. After all, a mere rebel, Mistborn or not, could hardly be expected to escape one of the Lord Ruler's own chosen."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users